One of the hardest things I had to overcome when embarking on this whole “getting fit” thing was learning that exercise did not need to be torture. Sure, it’s work. I’m not so sure I’ll ever be one of those people that bounds out of bed early in the morning, giddy at the thought of putting on a uni-boob-inducing sports bra and working up a nice, healthy sweat. However, I have learned that with a little patience and a little exploration, exercise can actually be FUN! I know, shocking, right?! Here’s a few wacky workouts that have caught my eye the past couple of months.
1) Kickball. One of my coworkers is a member of an award-winning kickball team called the Sofa Kings. Is that not bad ass? Imagine burning calories from something you used to do as a child. Awesome, right?
2) Crossfit. Crossfit has been sweeping the nation, and until I tried it this weekend, I was mildly terrified at the thought of pushing humvees, jumping on giant boxes and following a strict paleo-only diet. However, after a great and intense workout that was only FOUR MINUTES LONG (yes, you read that right – CrossFit is more about the intensity than the duration), I’m going to check out a Crossfit place near me.
3) Roller Derby. When I saw the Derby Dolls Skate-Off in Los Angeles, I was instantly smitten. These chicks are BAD ASS. Tattooed, tough and totally gorgeus, there were all shapes and sizes rolling around the rink, thrashing each other with their arms and elbows. It looked like one hell of a workout, and one day when I’m brave enough, I’ll put on my quads and give it a go. They even get awesome names like “Laguna Beyatch” and “Betty Blowtorch.” I wonder what my name would be… Lecherous Lyssard? Lyssa Pissa? Haha!
4. Jumpsport. Trampolines aren’t just for kiddos anymore. As I saw at FitBloggin’ this weekend, bouncing, jumping, twisting and twirling can give you one heck of a workout, because the spring in your step totally challenges your balance and core. Places are popping up all over the country that offer giant, padded trampoline rooms where you can boing and boing to your heart’s content. I’ve been meaning to check one out with a friend. Sign me up!
5) Circus School! Kids these days can threaten to run away to the circus and actually DO IT. Fun fact: My mom was in circus camp in high school! Anyhoo, Cirque School in Los Angeles teaches people to work out on aerial bands and ‘introduces students to a combination of aerial and Pilates exercises on the trapeze, fabric and rope. Students follow a circuit of exercises to increase strength in their core and upper body creating a solid foundation for our Aerial Tricks classes.’ Because this one is local to me, I DEFINITELY need to try this. I’m always in awe of the incredible Cirque-du-soleil style performances I see, and I can’t imagine the strength it must take to dangle your body on an elastic rope and not freak the eff out. I love their motto – for any body with any body.
So there you have it – five totally wacky and weird workouts that challenge the idea of calorie burning needing to be torturous. Which one would you try first? I think Cirque School or Bounce Camp is calling my name!