It’s February and that means its time for FOOTBALL! However, do your usual Super Bowl snacks leave you feeling bloated and puffy, like YOU’RE stuffed into a pigskin? Have no fear – Guacahummus is here! This lightened-up dip saves you over 75 calories on average from fatty restaurant style guacamole. The best part is because of the tangy cilantro and creamy avocado, you really won’t even notice this fiber-rich fakeout isn’t the real stuff. Give it a try and let me know what you think! Note: You MUST use a food processor or blender for this recipe. One 2.5 tablespoon serving is approximately 88 calories, but you could certainly have much less and still be satisfied – I’m just all about volume!
1 can of Garbanzo Beans, drained, with 2 TBSP liquid reserved
1 small, ripe avocado
2 peeled garlic cloves
2 TBSP lemon juice
3 TBSP water
1 big bunch of washed and dried cilantro, stems mostly chopped off
Salt and Pepper to taste (Add Cayenne if you’re feeling spunky!)
1) Drain the garbanzo beans and add to your food processor. Blend until chunky and beans look like “crumbs”. Add the reserved two tablespoons of garbanzo bean liquid from the can.
2) Add in the two tablespoons of lemon juice and garlic cloves. Blend until smooth.
3) Add the avocado, removing the pit and blending until smooth. Add the 3 TBSP water and blend again until smooth and thin.
4) Cram the cilantro in the food processor. For easier blending, split it in half and do it in batches. Blend, blend, blend until it takes on a beautiful guacamole color and there are no big lumps.
5) Season to taste with pepper, salt and garlic powder. If you like your guacahummus thinner, add a little bit of water until it reaches the desired consistency.
6) Serve with carrot chips, tortilla chips, cucumber slices or anything your low-fat heart desires! Enjoy!