Here’s a few things I love about LA:
1) You can go to a bridal shower in the morning and eat fancy watercress sandwiches with scones and clotted cream and lemon curd
2) You can go to Pasadena and eat Taiwanese food with your Chinese friend who has to order in Chinese for you (and if you’re like me you have to sheepishly ask for a fork because you can’t use chopsticks – someone teach me how!)
3) And then you can order a Mango Snowy, which is a gigantic pile of fluffy frozen ice drizzled with sweetened, condensed milk on top of a heap of ripe, sweet mango
4) You can go to a wine bar with some other friends and try a bubbly rose moscato
5) You can have a cheap late night snack of pastor, asada and carnitas tacos from a food truck that’s humming from a generator at 1 AM, surrounded by happy people of all different cultures and ethnicities. There are tubs of diced onions, cilantro and tomatoes waiting near vats of different fiery salsas, and you can dress up your taco any way you choose.
So what is it exactly that I love about LA besides the food? The cultures! My tummy is never bored, and neither are my eyes. It’s so cool to try so many different types of foods and get a little immersive experience from each culture depending on the cuisine. I still need to try Ethiopian food and Argentinian food, but I’ve ticked off a big list of ethnic cuisines since I moved to LA – Serbian, Armenian, Taiwanese, Japanese, Antiguan, Egyptian, South African, Creole, Iranian… So far the only ethnic food I haven’t loved is Korean BBQ, and I think in general that’s because I’m not a big meat eater to begin with and I’m not fond of anything pickled besides, well, pickles.
It’s still fairly easy to eat well too even if you’re eating ethnically and creatively – for me, MyFitnessPal keeps me on track and I just remembered that I can taste a little bit of everything but there’s no reason to finish everything. I can always take something home and enjoy it again later. So – do you share my flair for the multi-cultural? What’s your favorite ethnic food?